Motorola Introduces the Motorola i580, the Integration of Ruggedness and Sophistication
New phone is the first ruggedized iDEN® handset with Integrated Bluetooth®, MP3 player and camera
LAS VEGAS (April 4, 2006) — Motorola (NYSE: MOT) today announced the Motorola i580, the newest iDEN® handset to answer the call for an ultra-durable, stylish, fully equipped handset. It is the first rugged iDEN® clam phone designed to meet strict military specifications for blowing rain, dust, shock and vibration and to be enhanced with an extensive multimedia experience, which includes Bluetooth, a 1.3 megapixel camera, video and messaging. The phone’s durable design and rubber over mold can withstand even the toughest day on the job or the most demanding outdoor activities, for those who enjoy an active lifestyle. In addition, users can enjoy myriad “push-to” functions that make for a truly rewarding push-to-talk (PTT) experience.
“At Motorola, we constantly strive to deliver products that are as remarkable as their users -- whose lives are fast paced and demanding -- and the Motorola i580 is designed to live with them, through tough weather conditions or less than optimal treatment,” said Peter Aloumanis, director, U.S. Markets Division, Motorola’s iDEN® Mobile Devices. “However, a durable (rugged) phone does not mean limited functionality; the many media and PTT features in the i580 undoubtedly will enhance the communications experience.”
Through its iDEN® technology, Motorola continues to redefine PTT, and the i580 is no exception. Equipped with new “Push-To-Smart Replies” functionality, users can now respond to PTT calls with either a custom or preset text message*, allowing PTT communication with other i580 users in situations where voice communication would be inappropriate, such as in meetings, libraries, etc.
The most complete ruggedized phone yet, the i580 contains features new to iDEN® handsets, including:
* Push-to-Smart Replies – Discretely send a text message using PTT, even in the most difficult to communicate times.*
* Push-to-Meet – Users can now create Datebook reminders on their iDEN® handsets and send them to other i580 users via PTT.*
* Push-to-X (PTX) Manager – The PTX Manager Menu allows users to control all of the i580’s unique Push-To features from one, streamlined, intuitive menu.
* Enhanced support for the visually impaired -- The i580’s Voice Playback functionality has a simulated voice to guide users through phone menus and through placing and receiving phone calls.
* Front Ported Audio Support – The i580 is equipped with dual, frontal speakers, as opposed to the traditional single rear speaker.
* New Lithium Ion Battery – Increased power packed into a compact design to support handset enhancements without a decrease in talk time.
The phone also has many of the features associated with Motorola’s iDEN® technology, including Bluetooth, location-based services*, Selective Dynamic Group Call (SDGC)*, MOTOTalk™, support for expandable memory (Micro SD), integrated speakerphone, voice recorder, downloadable applications*, and a two-way radio for instant communication at the touch of a button throughout the continental US, and to Hawaii, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Peru, and Argentina.
The i580 will be available in Q2 of this year.